Al Bawani Tower
Salah Al Din Al Ayyubi Road
Riyadh - 11526
Afaq is a UK qualified lawyer/barrister and a Senior Associate at the firm. He leads the commercial and corporate practice of the international division of the firm and regularly advises Saudi and foreign entities on a wide range of matters including M&A, corporate, commercial, foreign direct investment, joint ventures, private equity, corporate structuring, commercial agencies/franchises, employment, regulatory and on matters of public procurement. He also regularly advises on matters of FDI and structuring of foreign inbound investment in Saudi Arabia and Afaq has advised a large number of foreign entities in setting up local entities/branch offices/technical scientific offices.
He has gained experience of working in-house as an AVP at a prestigious company – Saudi Pak, a holding company and a joint venture between governments of KSA and Pakistan. He is also an advocate of the High Courts of Pakistan.
- Freudenberg Home & Cleaning Solutions GmbH acted as a transactional counsel for buyer in its proposed acquisition of 75% equity in a Saudi trading company in Jeddah.
- Mdtronic A.G. acted for buyer for sale/transfer of 2,000,000 shares to its sister company due to internal corporate restructuring of Medtronic in a Saudi entity (value of shares is SAR 20m).
- Saudi Company for Hardware (SACO) acted as a transactional counsel in relation to its acquisition of ninety nine percent (99%) shares in Medscan Terminal Company, value of transaction was SAR 40.00 million.
- Altran Middle East, acted as a transactional counsel on a host of legal issues including corporate restructuring and acquisition of 100% shares in a Saudi entity.
- Jolly Chic acted as a transactional counsel for acquisition of a trading company to do trading and e-commerce business, obtained SAGIA License and completed other regulatory formalities.
- Sellers relating to sale of 10,500,000 shares worth SAR 153,600,000/= representing 30% of the total share capital in Sukoon International Holding Co. involved in drafting & negotiations of a share sale & purchase agreement and negotiated the same with the buyers.
- Sudair Pharmaceutical acted for the sellers in respect of sale of their 35% of share capital; reviewed and negotiated the SPA and SHA with the buyer (value of transaction was SAR 42.656m).
- Bank Muscat Riyadh in relation to a credit finance facility of SAR 500m granted to Saudi Electricity Company including reviewing security documents.
- A Saudi group in retail sector for financial restructuring of its existing financial indebtedness of over SAR 2.2 billion to a consortium of financial institutions.
- Alpla Holding GmbH, currently acting a transactional counsel in relation to acquisition of 51% shares of a manufacturing JV entity in which Alpla already holds 49% shares.
- Protiviti, currently advising on structuring investment and incorporation of a Saudi entity by way of obtaining SAGIA License.
- Shawaf Group acting as the retained counsel for several entities such Bawani Construction Co. Ltd, Bawani International Real Estate Development & Investment Company and Shawaf International Co. Ltd on a range of commercial, corporate and regulatory matters.
- Aviation Australia Riyadh College of Excellence Company advised in respect of a contractual dispute of approximately SAR 10.00 million which arose out of Operation & Maintenance Agreement with College of Excellency Company.
- A Saudi Royalty - seller in respect of sale of plot to a Kuwaiti real estate firm, value of transaction was SAR 332,000,000, reviewed and negotiated sale and purchase agreement with the buyer which purchased plot for construction & development of a residential mixed-use area project in Riyadh.
- Regularly advise existing portfolio of clients such as Mobily, Averda, Al Safwa Food (DQ), Ericsson, Lebara, Sudair Pharmaceutical Co., Bank Muscat, Binzayed Group, Balsharaf Group, Deloitte, Jolly Chic, Medtronic, SACO, Subway, DQ, Terumo, Taj Holding, Vinci Construction, Raseel Holdings, and Jinggong Steel International on a range of commercial, corporate and labor law related issues.
2008 – MCIArb, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, London
2008 – LLM, Queen Mary, University of London
2007 – Bar Vocational Course, BPP Law School, London
2006 – PGLLB (Hons), City University, London
2002 – M.A. Eng. Literature, Forman Christian College (A Chartered University), Pak
2000_– B.A. Eng. Literature, Forman Christian College (A Chartered University), Pak
- Life Member, Lahore High Court, Pakistan
- Life Member, Punjab Bar Council, Pakistan
- Member, Lincoln’s Inn, London
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, London (CIArb)